Sunday, April 29, 2018

A Short Stack That Didn't Involve Pancakes

Marcy Home Gym MKM-81030
          Last Christmas, I received a gift card for Dick’s Sporting Goods from my Uncle and Aunt, and since then, I’ve been checking the store’s website for any good deals. I first eyed a packable down jacket which was the exact amount on the gift card, but having so many jackets already, I didn’t order it.
          Lately, due to my age, I’ve been feeling that my free weights (barbells and dumbbells) are no longer safe if I were to try lifting the maximum weight I was capable of. So I checked out any weight machines on sale at Dick’s Sporting Goods and my first choice wasn’t available but my second choice pretty much included what I needed for a full body workout. Prior to this I had one machine left which I bought about 5 years ago for safety purposes but only had one function – the bench press, and it occupied a lot of space for just one function. It was called the Valor Fitness BF-47 Independent Bench Press. I had to disassemble this machine and left all the steel parts in the trash bin for the recyclers to go through and sell.
Valor Fitness BF-47 Independent bench press
          The machine I found at Dick’s Sporting Goods was the Marcy 100 lb. Single Stack Home Gym MKM-81030. The price was affordable after the $50 reduction from the gift card. I ordered it online and opted for delivery to the room of my choice which included one flight of stairs, plus assembly by a technician. The machine had too many parts for me to assemble myself and I didn’t care to use my brain too much to figure out which part, screw, or pulley goes where. When I finally clicked on the checkout button, to my utter surprise, the cost of delivery and assembly was more than the machine itself! Well, I figured this was going to be my last major purchase before I get laid off from work and I might as well buy it while I was still earning a paycheck. Besides, I figured this was the last weight machine I’m ever going to buy and should last me into my old(er) age.
          So the delivery was scheduled and it actually arrived a couple of hours early (I was given a four hour window from noon to 4 p.m. but it was delivered by 11 a.m.). Next, I had to call the store to schedule the assembly. After a couple of calls, we were able to schedule it, however on the day the technician was supposed to show up, he ran into some delays and we had to reschedule for another day. That day came and the technician called me and said he had finished his previous assignment early and that he can come in early to assemble the machine. Unfortunately, I was in a training class at work at that time and I gave him my ETA for when I can get home. He arrived a few minutes after I got home and proceeded to unpack the machine and laid out all the parts on the floor. I left him to it, not wanting to interfere with things I didn’t know about.
Set up and assembly by technician
           It took him about 4 hours to finish which was longer than he expected because the pulley system was complicated. If I even tried to assemble the machine myself, I probably would have given up and called an expert anyway.
          The technician left and I tried out a few functions of the machine. Everything seemed to be in working order except the top weight on the weight stack was hanging about 5 inches from the rest of them. I didn’t pay too much attention to it thinking it was probably the way it should be.
          A couple of days later, I did a full body workout and tried to lift the maximum weight for every exercise. It was then while doing the latissimus pull down and I inserted the pin on the weight stack 2nd to the last plate when I discovered that the middle bar where the pin was inserted didn’t go all the way down to the last 2 plates. If it were pancakes, it was a short stack. I looked the machine over and everything seemed to be okay other than one of the cables appeared to be about 5 inches short, the same distance the mentioned earlier about the top weight on the weight stack. Hmm, was this a factory defect, or did they pack the wrong size cable? It would have to wait until the next day because it was after hours for the company that manufactured the home gym.
Short cable for the weight stack?
          The next day, I called the toll free number for Impex Fitness, which manufactures a lot of exercise machines for different companies (the label may say Marcy or Gold's but it's made by Impex) and explained the situation, then asked the representative if this was a known issue with the machine. She said it wasn’t and asked me to email her a picture of the machine from the side. I had already previously taken pictures and sent them to her. A few minutes later, she sent me 3 pictures showing that the technician had assembled the machine incorrectly. I compared the pictures to the machine itself and it showed that one of the pulley attachments was facing backward instead of forward. I analyzed the set up to see if I can make the adjustment myself but decided I didn’t have the proper tools.
Pulley assembly should have been facing forward
          I called the company who assembled the machine and a couple of days later, the technician came by. It didn’t take him 10 minutes to make the adjustment and while he was still there, I tested the machine. Sure enough the weight plate that was hanging 5 inches was now flush against the rest of the weight plates. I was able to insert the pin on the weight stack all the way to the last plate. Not that I’ll be able to lift the whole thing, mind you.
          Next, I downloaded an exercise chart specifically for the machine from the internet (I was surprised that none came with the machine). So far the exercises I’ve been doing on the machine have been: chest press (straight and inclined), chest flies, lat pull down, biceps curls, seated military press (this one wasn’t on the chart so I made it up by sitting on the floor and using the low pulley, triceps push downs, upright rows, and leg extensions. There are a couple of other exercises available for the legs and hips but they require a strap to be attached to the ankle, which I don’t care to bother with.
Marcy Home Gym Exercise Chart
          So now I’m operating on a full stack. I have a whole bunch of weight plates for barbells which I will no longer be using. Would anybody care to buy them from me? I could use the money since I’m going to be unemployed soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

would it be possible for you to post a higher resolution picture of the exercise chart, I just purchased a used one but it didnt come with any charts

thank you

N Jessamine

Statcounter