Friday, April 15, 2011

A Snail’s Pace, Literally!


Forget about the pony express, that would be too fast. This one gives new meaning to snail mail. When I bought my refurbished netbook from Tigerdirect.com a few weeks ago, they offered a $20.00 rebate towards my next purchase if I signed up for something called Everyday Privileges Gold trial membership for $1.00 which is supposed to last a month. This membership offers discount coupons from groceries, hotels, and other stores. If I didn’t want to be billed further, all I had to do was cancel my trial membership after a month. I figured, why not? Getting $20.00 for $1.00 is a very good deal. So I waited for my membership packet and rebate form, and waited, and waited. Three weeks later, I received the packet but not the rebate coupon, so I emailed customer service to ask about it. I was told it was sent via email and for me to check my junk mail in case it went there. Well, I didn’t find it but they told me they were going to send the rebate coupon by snail mail anyway, which I should receive in 7 to 10 days. So I waited some more and after two weeks passed, still no rebate coupon. I sent another email and they responded that the coupon was sent out on March 25th and it may take 3 to 4 weeks to arrive. So it went from 7 to 10 days to 3 to 4 weeks. Talk about snail mail! Either that or the mail was coming on a slow boat from China. Who knows?! Meanwhile my trial membership expired and I called to cancel it so I wouldn’t be billed any further. They tried to sweeten the deal by offering to send me more store coupons so I would continue my membership. I declined. I continue to wait for the rebate coupon as of this writing. If I held my breath while waiting for it, I would be dead already. Maybe the snail that was delivering the mail got intercepted and was served as escargot.
          As a follow up to what I wrote above, I called the company yesterday to check on the status of the rebate coupon and their representative said he was going to send it by email after confirming my email address. He told me to check in the next 24 hours. Hmmm, an email that takes 24 hours to arrive... I think I'm beginning to understand that this company is very good at making promises verbally and in their email email communications, but not as good in backing up their words. They are good at saying things that their customers want to hear but they never really do what they say they are going to do. Talk is cheap, after all. To whoever reads this post, beware of companies run by Trilegiant, in this case, Everydayprivelegesgold. Hot air, snail mail, and 1 bit per hour email all rolled into one.

I found a lot of complaints regarding this company and here are samples:
http://www.19actionnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=11524487
http://www.lakinlaw.com/CM/NewsFlash/Trilegiant_Settlement_Approval_Release.asp
http://companyfeedback.blogspot.com/2009/01/trilegiant-corporation.html
Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter