Monday, February 2, 2009

"Doubt" and Mother Superior

Last week, I watched the movie “Doubt”, with Meryl Streep playing the role of Mother Superior in a Catholic school. One of the scenes was set inside a classroom and on the chalkboard was written a lesson on diagramming a sentence. I remember those lessons from way back when I was in elementary school. I started laughing to myself because, come to think of it, learning how to diagram a sentence has absolutely no practical application in real life.
Based on my experiences as a child going to Catholic elementary and high school, and remembering what Mother Superiors used to be like, I think Meryl Streep played the role of Mother Superior so very well. At my father’s funeral a few years ago, the Mother Superior from my elementary school came to the wake to pay her respects. You wouldn’t believe the reaction I got upon seeing her. Here I was, a grown man feeling nervous all over again like I was in elementary school in the presence of this larger than life woman. Good thing I didn’t cringe or run away to avoid her. Having been in touch with former classmates from the old country and from information gathered from the internet, I learned that Sister Innocencia Saavedra is still the Mother Superior to this day. Gulp.
Meryl Streep can’t compare to the real Mother Superior even with her superb acting.

No comments:

Statcounter