Sunday, March 15, 2009

Audited By The IRS !@#$%^&*

Last week I received a very special love letter from our beloved Internal Revenue Service regarding my 2007 income tax return. According to them there was a discrepancy between the return I filed and the numbers that they have on file concerning my investments. They also said their files indicate that I deducted double my California taxes. So I had to find my 2007 statements from my investment firm. Fortunately they were available online so it saved me from digging into my filing cabinets. I highlighted where it showed that I exchanged money from one type of fund to another type of fund and that I didn't gain any extra income from it. Next, I had to find a copy of my 2006 California tax return and 2007 Federal tax return where it showed that I only claimed the amount listed on the return and not double as they had in their files. I then wrote them a response letter to explain the discrepancies, then mailed all of that with the rest of my evidence the next day. All I can hope for now is that they agree with me. I thought my income tax returns were pretty straightforward and I am in no way trying to cheat on them. I use tax software and just answer the questions the software prompts me. Until I hear back from the IRS, I'll keep my fingers crossed and hold my breathe and hope they see it my way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I had lived in the States, I would receive a lot of love letters from the IRS...lol. I don't know a thing about taxes. We are not taxed here. Good luck to you...I hope the IRS realizes their mistake.

Noel DLP said...

Lucky you not to have to pay taxes! One love letter from the IRS is one too many for me. Thanks for commenting :)

Nancy Deprez said...

Wow, such a love letter is not so nice and not so exciting! Good luck, I hope they agree with you and leave you alone!

Cool that Jasmine above lives in a place where there are no taxes!! :)

Noel DLP said...

Hey Nancy, maybe they just need an economic stimulus package from me. I wonder how one immigrates to Brunei ?

Statcounter