Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Today's run 3/31/09

Oh boy! What a run today! I started out with my right ankle hurting and ended with it hurting more. Other than that my legs felt good. I was hoping for another 2 hour run today using the 5 minute run/ 1 minute walk method, but even before I started my right ankle was already in pain. Must have been that unintended 5k effort, 15 minute portion of a run with Gavin last Saturday morning. I was planning on taking it easy that day since we were running with a beginners running group and I had already done a sort of speedwork two days prior. I did a 15 minute warm-up by myself, then ran with the group very slowly for about 15 to 20 minutes, then Gavin ran with me to a house where I delivered a letter. Well Gavin is almost 20 years younger than me and even though he was pushing a baby jogger with his two children in it, he is still way much faster than me. I was really hauling butt and at the edge of oxygen debt for that 15 minute portion that I was trying to keep up with him. After reaching the house where I delivered the letter, Gavin asked if I wanted to continue along another route to get back to where we started from and I had to decline. That was the hardest pace I had run since last summer before my ankle got worst. So I just turned around and ran back slowly to recover from the unplanned speedwork. I think that 15 minute portion kinda overstretched my ankle tendon a bit and as of today it had not fully recovered. I didn't think I could finish 2 hours today so I aimed for something lesser. I was thinking that 1½ hours would be good enough. I just ran around the neighborhood, circling loops and crisscrossing streets. Even saw my co-worker at a park playing with his kids and said hello to them. I eventually ended up with a total of 1 hour and 50 minutes. Pretty close to my original goal and at a way faster pace than my 2 hour run a week and a half ago. That was the upside, and the downside is that my ankle hurts a lot. I'll keep icing it all day today, take a couple of aspirin and take about two days off from running. Please excuse me while I go and do my third icing for the day.

No comments:

Statcounter