Saturday, April 4, 2009

Long Beach River Runners

The alarm clock jolts me out of a dream and its time to wake up earlier than usual to run with the Long Beach River Runners group. I haven't woken up this early since last October and it takes some time getting used to doing it again. I usually set my alarm for 7 A.M., when I'm off from work and catch up on my night sleep (I work nights). For the past two Saturday mornings I've been joining a group of runners who are preparing for the second annual Wrigley River Run and Tadpole Trot on June 6, 2009. Some in the group are experienced runners, others coming back into running, and still others who are complete beginners who set their goal to finish their first 5k or 10k run. I usually get there early so I get about a 15 minute warm-up jog, then join the group for stretching, then run with them (20 minutes for the past 2 weekends), then go off and run by myself for about another 30 minutes. So far so good, I might have to curtail my warm-up and post group extra miles when the group incrementally increase the number of minutes they run through the coming weeks. Its just nice and inspiring to be able to see people doing something to improve their physical fitness. After having a crummy 40 minute run yesterday where I struggled from start to finish, I had a better day today despite having run 2 days in a row which I hardly do anymore. Running with other people always helps. Makes waking up earlier certainly worth it.

For more information about the River Runners and the Wrigley race, please visit: http://www.lbfoundation.org/Events.html

No comments:

Statcounter