Friday, April 17, 2009

Thoughts of Retirement

The recession, poor economy, exhaustion from working, has led me to thoughts of retirement. No, not here in the U.S., I wouldn't be able to afford retiring here at this moment. As an emergency plan, I thought returning to the Philippines might be a good idea, specially if a job loss happens. I've saved all these years but most of my savings are in tax deferred investments and I have to wait until I'm at least 59½ before I can withdraw from those accounts without a 10 percent tax penalty. I'm not even sure if I have enough liquid cash to last me from now till I'm 60 before withdrawing from the tax deferred accounts. Money aside, there is this problem about the place I might want to move to where my mother now lives. The general area is very notorious for kidnappings by rebels who don't agree with the government. Here is a comparison data about the cost of living in the Philippines which a remittance company had in their newsletter:
San Francisco / Metro Manila
Movie Ticket: $11.00 / $3.00
Fast Food Meal (Lunch): 5.00 / 1.50
Restaurant Meal (Dinner): 15.00 / 4.00
Taxi (5 mile trip): 12.00 / 1.30
Studio Apartment (monthly): 1100.00 / 160.00

Another friend who lives in the city where my mom lives told me that its possible to live very comfortably there for about $500.00 a month. Will that be within my modest projected budget? Well, it could be possible...
Of course its not just a matter of checking out from here, then checking in over there. How do I liquidate my condo, car and other possessions? What kind of lifestyle will I be able to live? What if if I find out I don't like living there? How do I collect social security from here when I reach the appropriate age? I'm thinking that with the internet, applying for it and having direct deposit may make it possible, but thats a long way from now. There's also the concern about healthcare. With no health insurance, will I be able to afford the cost of medical care in case something happens to me over there? So many questions which answers I still seek. Well, like I said, its just an emergency plan. Or not even a plan, but just something to consider.

No comments:

Statcounter