Saturday, May 16, 2009

Increased Serotonin Level



Got the first training day out of the way, in the pocket, finito, and Long Beach Marathon training has taken its first steps for the 2009 season! It was nice to see and talk to old friends and acquaintances from previous training years again. This year I promised myself that I'm not going to push the pace but just run comfortably depending on how I feel, regardless of what the pace is. Of course I've sworn the same thing in previous years but could never hold back. This time, if I want prolong my running life, I would really need to control myself.

Since it was early when I got there and people were still signing up, I went for a 15 minute warm-up jog, then after listening to Todd (AREC president) talk about the training program, we were on our way for a 5 miler. Coming down a bridge into a left turn, what do we encounter but a pink thong on the ground. I had to make a quick check beneath my shorts to make sure mine hadn't fallen off.

Its always nice to be able to talk to a bunch of people while running because it makes the time and distance pass, and I got to catch up with people I haven't seen since last October. After the 5 miler, I ran by myself for another 23 minutes as a cool-down. For some reason, I felt really happy after the run. I was smiling all the way home. Not because I saw a thong. It must be the increased serotonin levels in the brain that exercise can give you.

When I got back from my solo cool-down run, I saw a pan on one of the tables that the club set up. I went to check it out and what do I see? Hot chicken wings! At 8:30 in the morning?! That was a first for me (to see, not to eat). Post workout protein replenishment, I guess.

So just like the swallows of San Juan Capistrano in the spring, we return, but instead of to the Mission, to Joe's Crab Shack instead.

2 comments:

Nancy Deprez said...

Yes, that really was a fun first day back, wasn't it! Great to see familiar faces, and be back in training, and like you said, just pure fun to run amongst other like-minded individuals. And yeah, I think I had a bit of the smiles too all weekend because of those endorphins and serotonin. I think if exercise and friends don't make us happy, what will???

Linda and I also saw the thong - kind of bright and noticeable wasn't it!

Noel DLP said...

Hi Nancy, I just woke up from my daytime sleep after working last night and was pleasantly surprised to see all of your nice comments. You just made my day :)
Today is a recovery day so I get to pedal my stationary bike while reading the newspaper.
Thanks for the comments.

Statcounter