Monday, December 6, 2010

Dual Purpose Runs


The rechargeable battery on my 3 year old Vivitar camera has not been charging fully lately so I thought it was time to shop for a new camera. I didn’t want anything complicated since I’m just a point and shooter (gone are the days when I was an amateur photographer and owned a couple of SLR’s during the analog age). After reading reviews for 2 cameras which were on sale (one at Best Buy and the other at Office Depot), I decided that Best Buy’s store brand - Insignia was my better option. So on a chilly Cyber Monday morning (even at 8:30 a.m.), I put on my running shoes, bundled up, pocketed my credit card and I.D., then ran to Best Buy which opened at 9 a.m. Instead of shopping online on this day, I went to a brick and mortar store instead. I got there shortly after they opened, purchased the camera, then ran back home while cradling the box in the crook of my arm, like a football hold. It was a 6.5 mile turnaround and by the time I got home, the edge of the camera box was soaked with my perspiration. My pace going out was 10:10 and coming back was 9:46. A negative split with a half pound load in hand! Shopping and running - a couple of birds hit with one stone. What else did I accomplish during the run? Camera savings = $30, gasoline saved = 1/5 of a gallon, endorphin high = priceless.
Another dual purpose run happened on Thursday morning. I had an unplanned idea of printing out a couple of pictures to send to my mom along with her Christmas card. I remembered I still had some photo paper from more than 5 years ago so I looked for them. Upon finding them I was surprised to also find some Jolo pictures which I printed out a long time ago. When I tried looking for the scanned copies, I couldn’t find them so I probably deleted them from an old computer which I had since donated to Goodwill. Anyway, I digress. For my mom, I printed out a Thanksgiving picture with my relatives here in the U.S., and another taken months ago with my new niece, Noelani and my uncle. Having done that, I drove to the LBC courier service and sent the card, photos, and some money. After doing all those, I went out for a run from the courier location in Cerritos towards Orange County. A half mile after I crossed the border, I turned around and ran back to where I started from. A pretty good 6 mile cross-county run. Because of the impromptu activities, I didn’t get started running until 10:00 a.m. and finished at 11. By then it was time for lunch and more turkey at home. My run felt a little rough but I enjoyed finishing it. I hope mom feels as much joy when she receives the Christmas card, pictures, and money.


Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter