Sunday, December 4, 2011

So Why Didn't I Get a Raise?!?



I started writing this last week upon finding out that all my coworkers had gotten a salary increase in their last paycheck while I did not. Three years ago, our employer gave us a raise and a month later when the recession struck, they not only laid people off, they also took away three percent from the remaining employees’ hourly pay. At the time, most employees got a three percent raise but when the employer took three percent off the new hourly rate, the workers actually got lesser money than before the raise took effect.
 So back to my problem. What I wrote below was in preparation for me to plead my case to my supervisor and human resources, because my annual review was quite good. Well, practically everyone gets good reviews anyway based on past evaluations and if so, why did my coworkers get a raise and I did not. Here is what I wrote last week:

Reasons Why I Deserve a Raise:
*Mentored coworkers when Electronic Medical Records system started.
*Keeps unit stocked with admission chart packs by streamlining the way they are assembled.
*I’m the only one who makes chart packs in our unit on South Campus.
*Does the most frequent rounds of any night shift Mental Health Worker.
*Does not fall asleep while monitoring the hallways at night.
*Developed a list of Mental Health Worker duties and responsibilities and revised them as the job evolved.
**Has been  proactive with having the Registered Nurse sign the back part of the rounds sheet because often times they forget that it needs to be done.
*Does most of the heavy lifting during the works shift (I usually do more work than my coworkers).
*I often go the extra mile by doing work I’m not required to do like filing the rounds sheets before I clock out in the morning.
*When admitting a patient, I’m the only one who automatically gives them gowns, pajama bottoms, and towels (extra blanket too if the room they are going to is cold).
*Cut down a patient from the ceiling who trying to hang herself in the shower.
*I’m very organized and work is done in the most efficient way possible.
These may appear like inconsequential things and they go unnoticed and probably taken for granted because it’s work that I do on a consistent basis. I have never wavered in this work ethic since I started working here, unlike others who become too comfortable and show apathy after just the first few weeks of being on the job.
I’m not the type to toot my own horn but I felt slighted when my paycheck didn’t reflect a raise a couple of weeks ago. I haven't gotten complacent either. That’s why I wrote those reasons above. I started to think that all that hard work doesn’t pay off since the slackers got a raise while I did not. Holding out hope that there must have been a mistake, I decided to wait for the next paycheck to see if there were any changes before calling my supervisor and presenting my reasons. Hallelujah! When I checked my paystub online last Thursday night (we don’t get paper stubs any more, money is directly deposited in the bank and stubs are in pdf), I saw that I was getting two paychecks: one for the a correction of the previous paycheck and the regular check showing that I had indeed received a fair increase for all the hard work I have been doing. Will that raise enable me to retire in a couple of years? Well, it was only a few cents per hour. I don't know how many percent my coworkers got, but I'm happy with mine. Let’s just hope they don’t take that away again in the near future.


Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!

No comments:

Statcounter