Monday, January 25, 2010

The Beginning Of The End?

I wrote this last Wednesday morning (January 20) and I didn’t get a chance to post it thinking I had more to add at that time. Upon reading it today, I decided to keep it as it is.

So how can I handle this latest setback with my ankle injury? I run well for a few months then suddenly the tendon overstretches or tears again, and just when I start to run better. Each time my condition gets worse, I come back running slower than before and couldn’t return to my former aerobic capacity. The time I got a thigh injury which stopped my every day running three years ago, I was still capable of doing about 8:30 pace per mile. When I recovered from that, I slowed down to 8:45 per mile. All the while I already had the PTTD. Pre-PTTD, I could probably still do the short runs at 8:15 to 8:30 pace. After I tore the right posterior tibialis tendon in October 2008, my best pace had slowed down to about 9:20. It was last August when I aggravated that ankle again and upon returning to running, I began my run/walk experiment. Apparently it worked, because I was able to finish a marathon I hadn’t planned for. However, I came back hitting another low for pace per mile average for a non-stop run. I’m down to the 9:41 pace Cyndi and I hit last Saturday during a 10 miler, after which I made my right ankle worse again. In the last couple of months, my left ankle has been affected too. My aerobic capacity (VO2 Max) has slowly been on the decline because of my injuries. Whenever I try to run harder, my ankles suffer the consequences. I don’t mind the slowdown so much. It’s the injuries that frustrate me. Every time it happens, it scares me that I may not be able to run another step forever.

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter