Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Run That Was, And The Aftermath

What can I tell you about the 10 mile run we did on Saturday morning? Well, it was good then it turned ugly several hours later. It was the first 10 miler I ran non-stop since last summer. I haven’t run more than 8 miles non-stop in recent months. Anything more than that, I did the 4 minute run/1 minute walk intervals. With the tempo pace effort I put in with Cyndi, my legs feel quite sore right now. Some people might consider that the 9:41 average pace per mile we netted over 10 miles to be pathetic , especially those speedier ones. Regardless, I still think we ran a decent pace that was slightly over our comfort level. How do I know? Well, it wasn’t exactly a pace that you can comfortably carry on a conversation. In fact in the second half of the course, we were hardly talking at all. There is one technique though, if your running partner is faster than you and you want him or her to slow down a bit so you can catch up. Ask him or her an open ended question so he has to give a long answer. That way, he has to increase his respiratory rate while talking and you can catch your own breathe.
One consequence of running non-stop for that long is that my ankles can’t tolerate it any more. They are pretty sore right now. To add insult to injury, I tweaked my right ankle again, not through running, but by getting up from a chair and making a bad step in the living room. Such is the nature of my PTTD, a single misstep is all it takes to aggravate it. This just goes to show you the fragility of my condition. My right ankle was hurting so much earlier that I had to wear a brace and my orthotics to work. I haven’t worn a brace since late 2008 and have done without orthotics at work for the last couple of weeks. Woe is me! The satisfaction of being able to run non-stop for 10 miles is more than offset by this latest setback. If only I didn’t have to work, I could at least elevate my foot for long periods of time at home. While at work, I have to stay upright with my feet at the lowest position for more than 12 hours.
Well, I’ll just have to monitor the condition of my right ankle in the next few days and see if it stabilizes. I hope it’s not as bad as it feels at the moment.
Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page:

No comments: