Thursday, May 12, 2011

Random Thoughts About Weight and Running


Losing weight and gaining fat? Is it possible that running helps ward off subcutaneous fat better than other cardiovascular or aerobic exercises? In recent months I could see traces of my former six pack disappear slowly even though I’ve lost a little bit of weight since I stopped running, while doing other types of aerobic activities. I think the slight weight loss has something to do with eating lesser, but I don’t know what the connection is with body fat percentage. Maybe it’s a testosterone issue related to age.
                Running or jogging or shuffling in the past week and a half without expectations of being able to go fast or pick up the pace has caused lesser pain. I’ve been making a conscious effort to reduce the load on the ankles. When it feels that I have picked up the pace subconsciously, I dial it back. So far it’s going well and I might keep on riding it until the ankles tell me to stop again.
                Can weight get too dangerously low? I know it can, but how low?  I haven’t been eating as much as before although I still have a tendency to overeat once in a while. After all that’s a habit that will take time to break after doing it for so many years, while being able to rely on running to control weight. I find myself regaining weight a little bit on the nights that I work since there is a tendency to eat an extra meal while staying awake on the job. However, in recent months, I’ve hit low weights I haven’t had since probably starting high school. On May 9th I hit a new low of 115 pounds upon waking up. I hope it was  just a lack of fluids which is also probably the reason that day’s run felt sluggish, and I felt out of breath even though the very slow pace didn’t warrant it. The next day my weight was still at 115.2 even though I tried to eat and drink slightly more. A weight that low is something I don’t think is healthy for me. I’m guessing my borderline should be around 116.5 to 117.5.  It’s nice to be able to keep weight down without relying too much on exercise to burn off the calories of course. There have been days that I’ve been able to reduce the intensity and duration of my workouts because of the lower weight. I don’t want to develop an  eating disorder after having what I call a running disorder for so many years. Meaning, I insisted on running every day even when injured.
                By the way, here is another way I try to stay active at home instead of just sitting on the couch while watching TV. I dance. Well I don’t really know how to dance but while watching DWTS or American Idol, I flail around like a chimpanzee until the dance or song on TV is finished. Recover, then repeat after the commercial break.

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!

Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter