Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Recent Attempts At Running



Psst, don’t tell anybody but I tried to run again about a week after I wrote about the inspired run I did. Last Saturday was my first attempt but when I woke up, my ankles were hurting and were still half an hour after lacing my running shoes, so I deep sixed that plan. The problem with PTTD is that the tendon hurts even when I don’t run, though not as much. I tried again on Sunday and my plan was to jog for one minute and walk for one minute. I only lasted 12 minutes and had to go back home to change shoes because the initial shoe/orthotic combination didn’t work out too well. It was irritating my right ankle tendon too much. After changing shoes and orthotics, I resumed my attempt. I was actually able to increase the jogging portions to 2 minutes after about half an hour. I managed all of 50 minutes of the exercise, but boy, it felt like I was moving through molasses.
                On Monday, my ankles were still feeling ok. For some reason they usually hurt more two days later. Maybe I could try running again but on the treadmill. This time I tried something different. I strapped on soft ankle braces and tried to run with them. They didn’t work out too well because the footstrike was altered. I had to take them off after 2 ½ minutes because they were too uncomfortable. I resumed the treadmill jog sans braces and my feet felt better. I kept it very slow and the incline very low at only 1%. Well, that was the lowest it would go because there was no zero. Surprisingly, I was able to do 50 minutes without walk breaks and without supporting my weight on the treadmill hand rails.
                Monday night I’m back to work so we’ll have to see how staying on my feet for hours would affect my ankles and my budding return to running. I’ll keep you posted.

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!

No comments:

Statcounter