Monday, November 7, 2011

What Is Your First Thought When You Wake Up In The Morning?


OR

?

A lot of our patients wake up in the morning, or for that matter, in the middle of the night, and the first thing on their minds is getting one kind of medication or other. More likely than not it’s an anxiety pill or a painkiller that they ask for. That got me thinking. What do you feel you need to have or do  when you wake up? A co-worker said coffee, which is a normal response. I used to feel the same way but nowadays when I wake up, the first thing on my mind is working out. That’s probably an abnormal response to the general public but to me working out is a daily habit that I have to tackle before anything else. Because of my night shift schedule, on my nights off, I have to luxury of not having to wake up at 4 or 5 a.m. to get a workout in before going to work. I usually start working out between 8 and 9 a.m. and the duration can last up to two hours depending on whether I lift weights after some sort of aerobic exercise. I just feel that working out gives me relief and release. Wouldn’t be an Ativan or a Xanax work faster? Hmm, seems like my patients have the right idea there. After all it takes me longer to have my fix while those meds I mentioned take effect within half an hour.
At least I look forward to working out after I wake up. Those patients need those meds because they are already dreading the day ahead of them. If those of you who are not regular exercisers happen to read this, can you tell me what it is you need to do when you wake up in the morning? Please exclude bathroom use because that’s too obvious.

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!

No comments:

Statcounter