Thursday, September 24, 2009

Changing The Way I Run

I’m trying to wrap my head around the idea that if I’m to prolong my ability to run, I will have to change the way I do it, even if it makes me slower than I already am. This means changing my stride from what my body is used to doing all these years. It’s obvious to me that my normal stride isn’t working anymore because my ankle tendons are hurting because of it. I have been trying out two kinds of strides in which I try to lessen my impact against the ground. One is a pulling stride where my leg pulls from front to back, and the other is more like a falling forward stride where I try to get my foot just under the knee and push backwards. Both involve a lower knee lift in an effort to land more lightly and decrease the pounding, and both are more of a shuffle than a full stride. Will any of them work? I will have to be the subject of an experiment of one.

***Side notes about last Saturdays’ run: The aftermath of the 21 miler was that I got a hole in each sock. The strange thing was that I wasn’t particularly sore, so no Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. Even though my ankles didn’t hurt as much as I anticipated, they are not healed. It just means that I’m running more slowly. I feel that my ankles are day to day and one misstep can mean several days of recovery. Linda was right, she said my ankles will thank her later when I asked her to set the pace. Because our pace was very reasonable I didn’t have to dig deep for energy other than consuming two gel packets. Now I have to decide whether to switch my registration from the half marathon to the full marathon at the expo. It would be a challenge to find out if I can still finish a marathon no matter how slow, by trying the Galloway method.

3 comments:

Sophie-Chantal said...

Noel, you ran the 21 miler??!! I applaud you, considering your ankles were hurting. By the way, I'm enjoying reading your posts--I'm learning alot out of them, and am happy to say that I'm less "fartlik" now than I was before (concentrating hard on not doing it)!

Noel DLP said...

LOL, Sophie! It's ok to run fartlek workouts on the shorter runs, after all it's a type of speedwork which improves your aerobic capacity for the slower longer distance runs and also burns more calories long after the workout is over.

Noel DLP said...

Comments from Facebook:
Tisa - Noel how nice to hear about this choices & alternatives. Inspiring sad Bai kay how true we can change the way we think & make the move to change the way our thingking affects our movements.... malabo ba?? Anyway am just saying am glad you can have this kind of reasoning.
Soraya - ika nga noel, slowly but surely....good luck to your marathon.

Statcounter