Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Growing Up Catholic

Being raised under the Catholic church is so ingrained in my brain so much so that I can probably still memorize the High Latin Mass to this day even though I haven’t attended church in awhile and Latin mass is rarely said anymore. After so many domino vobiscums and et cum spiritutuos, the words just imbed themselves in the mind even though you don’t know what it means.
During Holy Week, we do the Stations of the Cross and say these prayers on every station: We adore thee o Christ and we praise thee, because of thy Holy Cross thou has redeemed the world. See that? I haven’t done the Stations of the Cross in decades!
Take another example: the Angelus which we pray every dusk. Give me the first few words and it will all probably come back to me quickly. I think it starts this way: The angel of the Lord came unto Mary…(I can almost hear the church bells pealing in the background).
Our mother had the family pray the rosary every night when I was growing up that we memorized the Litany after awhile that we didn’t even have to read the prayer book anymore. What I never memorized were the Mysteries, the glorious, the sorrowful and whatever the other one was called.
I don’t consider myself a devout Catholic but neither am I a lapsed one either because I still believe and have faith in my heart. What I wrote above I did from memory and I didn’t look anything up on the internet so if there are things that are wrong, well I hope I can still be forgiven by going to confession again. Bless me Father for I have sinned…

No comments:

Statcounter