Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Home Banking Payment Error

I received my bill from a utility company a few days ago and yesterday I got so excited to pay it off that I didn’t look very closely at what utility I clicked on while I was paying it online. I have been home banking for over a decade now and this is the first time this has ever happened. Instead of paying my electric bill, I paid my gas bill instead. I didn’t notice my error until I was ready to file the paper bill in my filing cabinet. It suddenly struck me that I clicked on Long Beach Utilities instead of Southern California Edison. I went back to the banks’ website to find out if there was a way to cancel the transaction. Not finding any, I finally called their customer support telephone number. After navigating through their telephone tree, I was able to get a live person. I explained my predicament but the lady informed me that the payment was already being processed as we spoke. This was about fifteen minutes after I made the payment, but the time of day conspired against me. I made the payment at about 2 p.m. which was past 5 p.m. east coast time. Well, the bank follows east coast time and they start processing transactions after 5 p.m., so once that takes place, no human can reverse the process. The customer service person suggested that I call Long Beach Utilities the next day so they can send me a refund. I figured that was too much hassle for the utility company and the bank so I decided that my erroneous payment will just have to be an advance for future gas bills, which would probably cover about two months. I went back to the banks’ website and this time I made sure I paid the correct utility company. I’ll be more careful next time. Now if only the computer can spit out cash from the bank when I need it, instead of having to go to the ATM…

1 comment:

Noel DLP said...

Comments on Facebook:
Extra Cat - I got so excited to pay it off .." no, this part has never happened to me!
I did make a deposit to my checking account once that they put as payment towards my credit card...but it wasn't very exciting.
Fides - I know how you feel that happen and it's a hassle ♥
Tisa - Buti na lang it was not a big amt .Anyway Noel, I use to have cases of my staff making serious errors in the bank and had cost us tremendously. There is such thing as call back this is the checking done after the transaction is made to avoid the gap of allowance for correction or consumed transaction.

Statcounter