Thursday, October 1, 2009

My Mother’s Birthday Card

Every year for Christmas and my mothers’ birthday, I send her a greeting card through a Philippine courier service called LBC even though it costs five times more than sending it through the U.S. Postal Service. Since time immemorial Filipinos have had some problems sending cards, letters, and packages via regular mail because employees of the Philippine post office open the mail coming from the U.S. in hopes of finding something valuable inside. The mail is then either forwarded to the addressee lacking things, or not forwarded at all and sent to the garbage pile (I’m assuming). This is why Filipinos who live here send mail, packages, and money through private courier companies like LBC and Forex even though it costs more. For example, sending a letter or card like I did today costs 98 cents via USPS while it is $6.00 via LBC in what they call a Speed Pouch Pack. It may be more expensive, but you have some peace of mind that your loved ones will get it because it gets there safely.

So today, I went to the local LBC office to send my mother’s birthday card but when I got there, the sign on the façade had changed. It was a different courier service where you can still send packages and money, but not letters. I asked the lady about LBC and she only knew that they closed but didn’t know where they moved to or where an alternate office might be. I drove down the street to Forex but they don’t have the letter delivery service either. Running out of immediate options, I decided to risk it and send it through regular air mail and hope that my Mom receives it, regardless of whether it is opened or not. I sent an email to my Mom’s landlady (my Mom does not have internet service) saying that I sent a birthday card but if it doesn’t get there, it’s not because I forgot, but because the Philippine postal workers were at their shenanigans again. Pity that this still happens. By the way, the picture above is not the card that I sent but just for illustration purposes.

Happy Birthday, Mama! I’ll be calling you on your birthday. Happy Fiesta Pilar too!

3 comments:

Noel DLP said...

Comment from Tisa on Facebook: NOEL, WE ALL CAN FEEL YOUR DISAPPOINTMENT BECAUSE SENDING A MOM A BIRTHDAY CARD IS ONE OF THOSE VERY IMPORTANT COMMUNICATION. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUR MOM AND I HOPE YOU WILL FIND THE APPROPRIATE COURIER SYSTEM. I UNDERSTAND YOUR PREDICAMENT ABOUT PHIL POSTAL OFFICE... AM OFTEN A VICTIM ALSO

Unknown said...

hi Noel, I hope your mom gets the card.

Noel DLP said...

Comment on Facebook from Soraya:
I feel your sentiments, especially on special occasion like this...happy bday to your mom. Just try your luck next time w/ another courier. This is one of the reasons why we are not prospering..walang asenso, 'ika nga.

Statcounter