Monday, October 19, 2009

Lost In Thought

I finally cut off the D-tag timing chip from my shoe today which I didn’t realize was still there since marathon day. Since I alternate between two pairs of shoes, I haven’t worn today’s pair since October 11. My workouts during the weekend consisted of a 45 minute ride on the stationary recumbent bike on Saturday, and a 1½ hour hill walk on the treadmill on Sunday. So today I decided it was time to do my second post marathon run. The last two runs have been GPS-less so I didn’t have to feel the pressure to run a certain pace. I just went out as slowly and as easily as possible. There were moments when I got lost in my own thoughts.

One of them was about yesterday’s party at Kate and Deb’s house. It dawned on me that I haven’t attended the Win Freeman Post Marathon Party in four years, the same number of years since my last marathon. It wasn’t intentional, it just turned out that way. Although I was initially apprehensive about going because of the social anxiety I mentioned a few blogs ago, I thoroughly enjoyed being there listening to stories of my AREC clubmates’ experiences, whether good or bad, during the Long Beach Marathon. It was also nice to hear about their future running plans. Deb and Kate were very gracious hosts and kept everyone entertained. Even their cat made a brief appearance.

Another thought that came to me while I was around the Virginia Country Club area, was that finishing a full marathon again hasn’t completely sunk in yet and perhaps it never will. It feels like it didn’t happen. Maybe I don’t completely believe in myself that I am still capable.

Towards the end of the run, my thoughts were of gratitude that I was still able to do what I love doing despite my slowness.

I got this Sufi saying from a Canadian indy movie I just finished watching - “You are where ever your thoughts are”. Now I feel that I was not lost in my thoughts after all.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hey there, lost-in-your-thoughts Noel, I never knew you had anxiety about social situations; you always seemed so relaxed and talkative on the training runs. Everyone in our club likes you!

Like you, I am running untimed (no Garmin either). I am just enjoying the act of running. It's good for recovery! BTW, I signed up for that Surf City Half Marathon in early Feb. I must be mental, yes?

Noel DLP said...

Hey Linda, I think you would have had enough recovery time to do the Surf City Half. Between now and then you should be able to run 2 or 3 half marathons. Look at Dona, she is running Santa Clarita full in a week and a half. She is both durable and mental (I hope she doesn't read this).
Thanks for saying that people in our club like me. I find it easier to talk to people while running otherwise I'm socially inept :)

Unknown said...

hi Noel, I am trying to left my right heel and knee recover fully before I attempt another race. I haven't been 100% since the Seal Beach 10K in April. I ran the PV Half Marathon and limped after mile 8, then I launched into the marathon training and my refurbished orthotics injured me worse. By the time I started running with you I was in a lot of pain. I got better gradually with Galloway method but I'm still not completely healed. I felt ok on race day but what you didn't see around mile 16 was the pain I felt in my feet. I did something to my right knee because of compensating the feet. Anyway, I have an inkling of what you go through with your ankles. One day you have hope, the next day it's all gone. And then you hope anew the next day.

If I was 100%, you know I'd be letting it loose like the day you chased me past Marine Stadium and couldn't catch me for anything. I miss being able to run like that and I know I will again but I have to rest and heal.

Noel DLP said...

Hi Linda, I didn't realize how bad your ailments have been because you seemed to be running very well all summer. Maybe I was too focused on my own pain. I understand how you feel. I'm just happy we made it through the Long Beach Marathon despite our pains. Right now it's time for us to recover. The Surf City Half is surely a good race to aim for, with enough recovery and healing between now and then. So, no, I don't think you're mental :)

Noel DLP said...

Comments from Facebook:
Sophie: I cut it off Saturday when I had my first run since the marathon. It was a little sad for me *sniff, sniff* considering it was my first marathon and all. Oh well.
Hey Noel, are you going to be doing the trail runs starting in November? I'm planning on the Catalina Marathon, so I'm doing them. Plus, I miss the camaderie of our group runs on Saturday mornings.
Me: Wow, looks who's addicted! I will not be doing the trail runs but I'm sure you will enjoy the groups' company very well. Have fun as usual :)

Statcounter