Saturday, October 17, 2009

First Post Marathon Run Plus a Weird Dream

I felt so exhausted after my first post marathon run of 40 minutes yesterday. I was nodding off all day and finally went to bed at 10:30 last night. I wanted to see the old Robert’s department store in Bixby Knolls being demolished so I ran by there then swung over to my friend Katherine’s house and saw her in her front yard. I jokingly told her to come run with me and she took me up on it. My planned 30 minute run turned into 40 minutes. Katherine and Bryan were Nadine’s pacers last Sunday before Nadine unfortunately had to stop about half a mile from the finish. Katherine told me what happened and that the medical personnel who showed up couldn’t really do anything other than radio it in. It took more than 20 minutes before the ambulance arrived. I’m glad that Nadine is all right other than having no recollection of what happened. In extreme glycogen depletion conditions, one’s mental state can get affected. Even the brain can get hypoglycemic. As expected, Katherine teased me for claiming to be retired from marathoning after seeing me on the race course.

I’m just wondering if I’m tired because of the flu shot I received a couple of days ago or still recovering from the marathon. I already know I don’t recover as fast as before, so it might be a combination of both. The pain I’ve been having on my right ankle and left knee are back since the overall marathon muscle soreness is gone. At least there is no more pressure to train for anything at the moment.

I had a weird dream about going back to the Philippines to live there permanently and it even involved Emmett, our running club secretary. I don’t how Emmett got in the picture. Maybe my subconscious made a connection with what he posted on Facebook last night. He was heading for Alpine Village while his friend was heading to the airport to go to Sydney. Funny how the mind works. In my dream Emmett was supposed to meet me at the airport to see me off and he had my plane ticket. However I still had something to do before departing because I was with a couple of TV repairmen while they were doing their house calls. I found out later that my flight didn’t leave till 1 a.m. I woke up just as I was trying to decide whether to bring my gloves or not, and decided not to because it was never going to be chilly to need gloves in the Philippines. Weird dream indeed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Noel, what a funny dream! You need to rest some more :) Great seeing you today at Kate & Deb's. There were so many people to meet and greet in a small amount of time. It's always good to see our friends, yes?

Noel DLP said...

Yes, Linda. I was apprehensive going there but felt more relaxed while listening to people tell their stories. Kate and Deb were very good hosts.

Noel DLP said...

Comments from Facebook:
Fides: but you made ....i know you are the best....
Me: Fides, just what a guy wants to hear from a girl, LOL! Thank you.
Soraya: it maybe a sign for you to take it easy first, now that the marathon was over..take a break for sometime not to over work your ankle, take care.
Me: Yep Soraya, I've been taking it really easy and doing other exercises. In the past I would run the next day. Some people I know who ran the marathon last Sunday, ran 10 miles yesterday. They're nuts! Otherwise they are good people :)

Statcounter