Saturday, October 31, 2009

Trip to the Bank? Or Trip on the Treadmill?

Yesterday, I was feeling light headed upon waking up due to the swine flu shot which was giving me a side effect that felt like a hangover, and it was spanking me really hard. The plan was to run 15 minutes to the bank, withdraw some money from the ATM machine, run around a little bit more and head back home to finish at least a total of 40 minutes. Instead, I ended up doing a pre-programmed treadmill workout. I hadn’t tried or even looked at the pre-programmed workouts on my treadmill before and while I was exploring it, I stumbled upon and ran a ladder interval. It consisted of a one minute warm up, then for the next three minutes it would speed up ½ MPH each minute, then for another three minutes, slow down ½ MPH each minute. The whole process repeats itself (except for the one minute warm up)until it ended 40 minutes later. It was chilly outside and I had intended to run on the treadmill as a warm up before going outdoors (not the whole 40 minute interval workout), but decided to stay indoors in the warm comfort of my living room and finished the whole workout. Initially, I got off the treadmill after five minutes to get a piece of hard candy and put on my MP3 player, then restarted the 40 minute program, so I finished a total of 45 minutes. I discovered that to make an easy transition from slow to fast I can do a float stride (catch more air) before resuming quicker steps to catch up with the speed of the treadmill.

After having this treadmill for several months I am only now beginning to find out what else it can do. When I received my electric bill this month, it was higher than usual. I scratched my head for awhile until it dawned on me that one of the functions of the treadmill was increasing my electric bill. Oh well, gotta pay to play J. And no, I didn’t trip on the treadmill…yet.

No comments:

Statcounter