Sunday, November 1, 2009

Three Weeks After the Marathon

No wonder I felt dizzy after about 35 minutes during today’s run. I didn’t feel thirsty but I got dehydrated. My pre-run weight was 119 and when I weighed myself afterwards, it was down to 115. That was roughly the same amount of fluids I lost at the Long Beach Marathon three weeks ago. I thought the dizziness was caused by the swine flu shot I got last Wednesday but now I’m thinking it was due to fluid deficit.

It was tempting to stay indoors and run on the treadmill while watching the New York City Marathon on TV but decided to go outdoors so I can get my dose of vitamin D. Besides, I’ve been doing too many indoor workouts in the last few days. I wore my Long Beach Marathon technical shirt for motivation.

Doing the 4 minute run/one minute walk today, the first two intervals were a slow warm-up, then the pace started picking up until I had to pause several seconds at a stop light and that was when the dizziness started. When I restarted I had to slow down the pace to get my equilibrium back. Well I ended up running from home to Long Beach City College which was 40 minutes out then turned around and ran 40 minutes back home. Other than the dizziness, it was a good run for a distance of 7.76 miles. If I didn’t feel lightheaded, I would have done more. But then again, maybe not, because my ankle tendons are still in the process of recovering. So far, as I write this, I’ve already downed 3 pounds of fluids and will be having soup for lunch while packing my ankles in ice. Somehow despite only being three weeks removed from the marathon, it already seems like a distant memory.

No comments:

Statcounter