Sunday, November 8, 2009

A New Training Group

How do I describe Saturday’s run? Since the running club’s marathon training is over for the year, Saturdays seemed empty and aimless until Linda told me that there was a small group training for the Surf City Half Marathon at the same site we did during the summer. This was just a loose bunch of AREC members who decided to meet together, organized by Tam, but not an official club training group. It started pretty much by word of mouth or word of email and I learned about it a couple of weeks ago, but was unable to attend last week due to CPR recertification class for work. Saturday was their second or third meeting.
Upon arriving at the parking area, I was surprised to see a lot of cars there, then saw a group of AREC members gathered. It was then that I remembered that the trail run training also started on Saturday. They met at the same spot then carpooled to the trail site where they did their running.
Linda and I arrived early and while she went to find the lavatory, I went for a warm-up jog. When I got back to the start area, a small group had already gathered and were ready to go, so off we went. Today’s distance was eight miles. We started slowly, there was no pushing the pace or doing pickups, and finished slowly, which was how we planned it. A misstep about 100 yards from the finish tweaked my right ankle slightly bit but since we were about done, I hope I didn’t worsen it. We shall have to see in the next few days.
There were some people in the group whom I already knew, some I’ve seen in the past, and a couple of new ones. I’m not very good at remembering names but I hope that by next week, if someone refreshes my memory, I will remember them by then.
I would like to thank Tam wholeheartedly for organizing this group. Even though I’m not training for the half marathon, at least my Saturdays will no longer be aimless and I have something to look forward to. If not for this group, I don’t think I would have run eight miles by myself. Running with others always helps. If my ankle holds up, I hope I can help Linda train for and achieve her goal of a sub 2:10 half marathon.

Public comments below, private comments may be emailed to: noelotp562@all2easy.net

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hi Noel, I'm glad you could join the group on Saturday. Sorry about your ankle! I was wondering why we didn't speed up at the end. Hope your ankle calms down. Please take care of your ankle first and worry about me second because our main goal is to have fun, yes?

Noel DLP said...

Yes! :-)

Statcounter