Saturday, November 28, 2009

Black Friday – Overspend or Not?

Having woken up much earlier than expected on Friday morning, I was tempted to go out and hit a few stores for their Black Friday sale specials. I had a few things in mind after seeing the store circulars the previous day like a possible replacement TV from Walmart for $128, a bubble jacket for $7, and a shredder for $25. But did I want to trade inadvertent elbow jabs with the anticipated crowd that was surely going to be in the store that early? Or take a risk catching a bug or two of whatever other shoppers may be sharing? What I did was double check the sale items on their website for availability. Now why didn’t I think about that the previous day? The TV I had my eye on was previously available to order online with only a 97 cent shipping fee! Too bad they were all already gone L.

A couple of hours later I was out of the house heading for OfficeMax which had a shredder for $30, reduced from the regular price of $89. I was expecting the product to be out of stock too and I wasn’t keeping my hopes up too much. To my surprise, there were two or three left so I got one, joined the short queue and was out of the store in about 15 minutes. Since I was out already, I decided to drop by Walmart to see if the things I wanted were still available. No to the TV, but yes on the jacket. However, as I addressed in a previous blogpost (http://noeldlp.blogspot.com/2009/05/increase-in-waist.html), clothes nowadays have gotten much larger even though the sizes remain the same and the smallest size didn’t fit me. So I didn’t buy the jacket. The crowd at the store wasn’t too bad, but then it was already 8:00 a.m. and the 5 a.m crowd had already dissipated.

Then it was off to the grocery store which had a sale on 2 liter soda for 59 cents and 26 oz. pickled jalapeno peppers for also 59 cents. The store was virtually devoid of shoppers. Nobody was buying food today because everyone was at the mall and shopping centers.

Upon getting back home and checking email, there was a notice from ZBSports.com that they had reduced their prices further plus 10% off. I immediately looked for the price of Brooks Addiction (msrp = $100). With the price reduction and 10% off, it came out to $73.15. Having not rewarded myself for finishing the Long Beach Marathon yet and the soles of my current shoes wearing out, I ordered a new pair. Nothing like delayed gratification!

So that’s my very unexciting Black Friday story. Because the TV was no longer available, I only bought what I needed and not what I wanted. And that’s the way it was.

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!

Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter