Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Tuesday’s Test Run

I wasn’t sure if I could run today because my right ankle was still hurting from last Saturday’s run. It was either walk, or attempt to run and see how the ankle felt. I wore the Asics Gel Evolution which I’ve had for months and even though it’s a motion control shoe, I haven’t used it much except for walking, because the sole is thinner than the Brooks Addiction that I currently wear to run. I didn’t have anything to lose after all. If I got hurt more, it didn’t matter what shoes I was wearing. Since the Asics had thinner soles maybe I would make more of a conscious effort to land my stride lighter. And that’s how I started the run – with a low shuffling gait that was practically scraping the ground. With that gait, the ankle didn’t feel wobbly, plus the 4:1 run/walk intervals helped. So my ankles survived a six mile run without further aggravation, which I’m thankful for. I probably did slightly more than six miles because I couldn’t get the GPS watch to connect to the satellites at the start, so I just started running before it connected. I’ve been eating too much salt lately so I wasn’t surprised that my perspiration was stinging my eyes just fifteen minutes into the run. I had to keep taking off my eyeglasses so I could wipe the sweat off my brow. It’s so hard to run without using your natural stride, but necessary for me to do so to lessen my impact against the ground. Sometimes when I lose my concentration, I still land hard, and that’s probably what happened last Saturday. But for today, the ankles passed the test.

Public comments below, private comments may be emailed to: noelotp562@all2easy.net

No comments:

Statcounter