Thursday, November 12, 2009

What a Frustrating Experience!


After unexpectedly finishing a marathon relatively unscathed and without aggravating the condition of my ankles, it‘s frustrating that they are beginning to hurt again after doing shorter runs. Like for example last Saturday, my right ankle started to hurt towards the end of the run after a misstep. Then on Tuesday, my left ankle began to have some sharp pains after about 1½ miles, then as suddenly as it appeared, it was gone. However while at rest two days later, it’s hurting again. It’s strange how my body is reacting to the short runs. It’s not as if I’m trying to run harder because I’m not really pushing the pace. While my friends from the AREC running club are out racing almost every weekend, I’m out doing my slow runs trying not to hurt any more than I already am. Not that I want to race. I just want to maintain what I gained over the summer. What am I to do? I wish that stationary cycling, or stair climbing, or rowing would give me the same satisfaction and fulfillment as running can, but they don’t. If they did, I probably won’t care about not running anymore. Running on the treadmill satisfies my cravings somewhat, but it feels different from pounding the pavement. I’m already trying to hit the ground as lightly as I can. What else can I do? Have I suddenly become a wimp so that every pain which I used to ignore in the past, is now something potentially devastating in my mind? Or am I just being more mindful of it so I don’t injure myself further? Which way do I go?
Public comments below, private comments may be emailed to: noelotp562@all2easy.net

No comments:

Statcounter