Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Is the Press Telegram Trying to Confuse Us?

That’s what I’m guessing anyway. In the past year the Long Beach Press Telegram has changed their fonts, reduced its size, changed some comics, used lesser pages and has more advertisements. Then last Monday, they moved the comics to section A of the paper, then the next day it was back to the usual section B. I’m starting to wonder if they are trying to confuse their readers or just keep them on their toes with all the jumping around. You never know on any given day on what page Dilbert can be found.
On Tuesdays and Fridays, the paper usually comes with advertising circulars from grocery stores and drug stores which I like to receive so I can peruse what’s on sale that I need to buy. However there are certain days that I those ads are missing from the newspaper. Maybe it’s the delivery persons’ mistake for not including them. I’m not sure anymore.
To add to that, the Press Telegram is notorious for its misspellings. One day they even misspelled the country of Colombia as Columbia! Yet I continue to subscribe and only because I like reading news in hardcopy and I can also read it while stationary biking, stairmastering, or treadmilling (no such words like the last two, I know). If I can only read while on the rowing machine, I would do it too but I still haven’t found a way to pull on the simulated oars and hold on to a newspaper. I also like to read about local news so I know what is happening in our neighborhoods, which you won’t find in the bigger newspapers like the Los Angeles Times and the Orange County Register. If I were to proofread the whole Press Telegram, I would probably find a lot more mistakes. I realize that there are no proofreaders anymore and they rely on spell check to save money, but I just cringe when I see obvious mistakes. The only good thing that has happened in recent years with this newspaper is that they have kept the price the same.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hi Noel, that was funny. The L.A. Times isn't much better :(

Noel DLP said...

Hi Linda, thanks for getting it. One of my former classmates thought it was a serious complaint so I had to tell her it was written tongue in cheek. Maybe if someone Googles Press Telegram, one of the results that show up would be this blog. One can only hope.

Nancy Deprez said...

HI Noel, the paper is struggling like all papers and trying to stay alive, maybe change up things to see if circulation improves. Unfortunately it won't because it is the dinosaur!

Noel DLP said...

Comments from Facebook:
The only permanent thing in life is change... so you've got to watch out for this my Friend!! even your most sought after ad section may gravitate to a new section .. I'd like to be positive in saying that this press telegram is just giving you an exercise of flexibility ....
Me: Hahaha, Tisa, what you say is true. I wrote that blog with tongue-in-cheek.

Statcounter