Thursday, February 24, 2011

Odds and Ends – February 2011 Edition


I’m scheduled for electronic medical records computer class on Thursday, February 24th which would take about 8 hours (actually as I post this, I may be getting ready to leave for class). Last Tuesday, I received mail from the electric company that they will be having a scheduled blackout for the same day as the computer class to upgrade their equipment in the area where I live. Good timing, huh? On the other hand, I’m expecting a delivery from UPS so I won’t be home. Darn! I have to wait another day.
Ok, I need to update the first paragraph above. The EMR computer class was cancelled because the program we were supposed to learn crashed yesterday. The blackout happened as expected and lasted about 4 hours: from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. so I was almost bored to death without TV or internet for at least a couple of hour,s since I couldn't leave in case UPS showed up. As I update this at 3 p.m., I'm still waiting for UPS.
Yippee! I finished doing my federal and state taxes last Thursday, February 17th I’m and getting a little bit of money back. It seems like I’ve achieved balance in my taxes, meaning I’m not paying anymore at the end of the year and not getting too much of a refund because deductions from my bi-weekly paycheck are just the right amount. The refund is just enough to pay for the annual car insurance, maintenance, and registration payments so it’s practically a wash.
Here is one entry I found amusing on the California Tax Form:
Check the box below if all of the following are true for you (and your spouse/RDP) - - Are not deceased. That means I don’t have to check the box if I’m deceased, right?
While assembling forms to make charts at work last week, we ran out of paper clips so we had to check all the drawers in the nurse’s station. By the time we picked the drawers clean of all the paper clips we found, they would have been enough to fill about 4 or 5 boxes which meant we found 400 to 500 of them lying around. And we still had to untangle them  afterwards.
Ever noticed on the TV show House, how the doctors leave prescribed medications on the patient’s bedside? They take too much cinematic license when they do that because that will never happen in a hospital in real life.

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

Statcounter