Wednesday, February 2, 2011

So You Recycle. Do You Reduce and Reuse As Well?


Do you recycle soda cans and plastic containers? Are you one of those people who collect cans at work and take them home at the end of the day? At my job, there are a few people who collect these cans so they can sell them. I noticed that at the end of their shifts, they get one of those plastic patient belongings bags which have handles, and place the cans in them to take home. They do this each day that they work, so I wondered what happened to those plastic bags when they got home. I conducted an informal poll among coworkers whom I had seen taking cans home and I found out that two out of three of them threw away the bags. How preposterous can that be?! Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of recycling in the first place? Couldn't they take the empty bags back to work so they can refill them with more cans that they find? So much for reduce, reuse, and recycle! Their intent was not to be green but only to collect the redemption value of the containers. How about you? What do you do with those bags?
On a different recycling note, I went to the grocery store last Friday and even though I told the cashier I brought a reusable bag which I put in front of her, she proceeded to put my order in plastic bags anyway. Ai, Mama Mia! Not wanting to be confrontive, I just let it go and took the plastic bags home to use for bagging trash. I guess it was force of habit on her part.

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first time to read your article, really nice and practical. Hope to hear more stories from you.

Theia said...

What gets me are the people who can't be bothered to recycle at all. Like, "Nah. No thanks." Ummm, have you been paying attention AT ALL the past few years???? Sigh.

Statcounter