Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Long Walks On The Beach?



          Yeah, right. Not even close. That was just a teaser, so my apologies. I’ve doing these long walks in the past week: 2 hours on Monday, 2 ½ on Thursday, and 2 hours on Saturday. The bookends were done on the treadmill and mostly uphill, while the 2 ½ was done half on the treadmill and half on the roads during the day of the power outage which I mentioned in a separate post. I noticed that at an hour and 40 minutes, the treadmill automatically shuts down and I have to restart it to continue the workout. The first time it happened, I thought maybe the motor overheated. The second time, I figured the timeout was built in into the programming. With these long walks, it increases the possibility of being able to finish a half marathon, which might take me between 3:15 to 3:30. We’ll see.
          A week later I was able to do my longest walk on the treadmill - 2 ½ hours at 4.5 percent incline. So what compelled me to keep going for that long, getting nowhere but staying in one place? Outdoors would have been better, right? Well it was a windy day and that could have been my excuse, but I had another good reason - I had to get caught up with my reading. Even though I received my previous month’s Runner’s World magazine several weeks ago, I just got through halfway when the next issue already arrived a few days ago. It was the combination the day’s newspaper and the rest of the magazine that took me to 2 ½ hours, even though my initial goal was just two hours.
         From the walking workouts I’ve done so far, it felt like the first hour was the hardest mentally, the second hour felt easier and downhill, and the last half hour started to feel hard again. I wonder if this ebb and flow is similar to the one I get during long runs?
          Anyway, what I got from the 2 ½ hour treadmill walk were blisters on both big toes, a sore left knee, and an even more sore right ankle. Hmmm, now that sounds more like I what I get during

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter