Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Failed Hard Drive


Computers are wonderful machines when they are working flawlessly but become frustrating when bugs start to emerge. A few days ago my 500 gigabyte external hard drive started to turn off and on for no apparent reason. I thought it was just a problem with the USB connection so I attached the USB cord to another USB port. Still, same problem. So I connected the drive to another computer to see if it works. It does for a few minutes then it turns off and on again. Looked like signs of a hard drive failure. All the data are still there but accessing them is a hit or miss experience. I'm trying to find ways of recovering the data before the drive fails totally. One possible remedy that I found on the internet is freezing the drive for a few hours then trying to access the data again. I tried it and so far I have recovered almost 200 gigabytes of data before the drive turns off and on again. The drive is back in the freezer for a few more hours then I shall hope and see if I can get any more out of it. 300 more gigabytes to go.

Update: 6/5/2009 – After almost two days I have recovered almost 340 total gigabytes of data from the failing external hard drive. The task is painstaking though because it takes so much time to freeze, thaw, and reconnect the external hard drive to another computer, then trying to transfer the data to another hard drive. But at least the technique is working. 63.6 gigabytes left to transfer.

No comments:

Statcounter