Sunday, June 7, 2009

Surviving The Wrigley River Run 10K On Tender Ankles

It seems like my ankles survived the pounding they took from the 10K yesterday. Considering that I have been running at a 9:40 to 9:50 pace per mile in recent weeks, finishing the 10K at 8:50 pace was more than I could ask for specially that I didn't aggravate anything with my ankles. Not making my ankles worst was reward enough for me and the faster than usual pace was a just a bonus. My mind set about running has changed so much. It used to be: how can I run faster or longer. Nowadays it is: how can I preserve the fragile condition of my ankles so I can keep on running regardless of pace.
The Wrigley River Run is a small community event with an all volunteer corps. In spite of this the event was very well organized. The start and finish lines were set up very well. The distances were measured accurately. The bananas and pizzas past the finish line kept on coming and seemed unending. The first place awards were generous: a $100.00 gift certificate at a running shoe store. Considering the price of running shoes nowadays, $100 is a generous amount. I was wishing I had one of those.
Since my feet overpronate badly when I run, I have to wear motion control shoes and those are the most expensive models with any brand name running shoes. $100 would about cover that cost. But I digress. Kudos to Gavin McKiernan for organizing a well run event and compliments and gratitude to the countless volunteers who assisted in making this event a success. There was even a band at the second turn of the course but unfortunately they couldn't play because it started raining and they were exposed to the elements. Some of the volunteers were members of the running club I belong to: A Running Experience Club, based in Long Beach, California. They gave up their chance to race so they could volunteer. Job well done everybody!

2 comments:

Nancy Deprez said...

I agree, it was a great race and kudos to the volunteers and Gavin for putting on such a professional race.

You did great by the way! I wish I could have kept up with you!

Noel DLP said...

Thanks Nancy, was that a PR for you? When you took off at the start I didn't feel I could catch up until I saw you at about mile 2. You sure were running really well.

Statcounter