Saturday, June 13, 2009

From Every Day to Day to Day


Time it was when running every day was a no brainer and just something that needed to be done routinely like eating or sleeping. Wake up, run, eat, repeat same thing tomorrow, for years on end. Nowadays, running is a day to day decision depending on how my ankles feel. I try to run just three times a week now. The recovery of my ankles takes between 48 to 72 hours, and during a running day I have to get a feel on how much time or distance my ankle will be able to tolerate. Running is no longer routine for me and I constantly lament that fact. I enjoy the good days and just hang on during the bad ones. Each time I start a run, I do so gingerly with smaller steps than my normal stride. No longer am I able to let it rip (within the confines of my aerobic capacity). My aerobic capacity exceeds the ability of my ankle joints to handle the pounding of running. My back has even started to hurt lately after I run because I have changed my stride. I now try to take smaller, lower strides so as to reduce the pounding against the ground.

After todays AREC training run, a chiropractor talked to the group about hidden runner imbalances and what can be done to correct them. I had been doing some of those exercises inconsistently based on what I have found on the internet but the chiropractor today just reinforced it and he was able to demonstrate some of the techniques. I shall now try to do them more consistently. I asked the chiropractor if the posterior tibialis tendon can still be rehabilitated and he said that something can be done so that I will be able to prolong my running. I am considering buying a balance board and kinesiotape to try to rehabilitate my ankle tendons. I have nothing to lose at this point so why not try them.

After last week's hard effort at the Wrigley River Run, we took it easy for today's 8 miler, barely breaking 10 minutes per mile. Other than charging up 6th Street hill at mile 4 and 2nd Street bridge at mile 8, the run was done at an easy effort. I didn't even do my usual one mile warm-up and cool-down. I'm sure my ankles will thank me for it. 92 runners signed in today. AREC training keeps growing bigger.


No comments:

Statcounter