Monday, July 27, 2009

Overshooting The Plan

I must have forgotten how to count. My brain cells are either disappearing slowly due to age or oxygen debt. The joints and muscles of my lower extremities are still sore from Saturday’s 14 miler so I decided to do a 5 minute run / 1 minute walk workout so as not to aggravate my right ankle which hasn’t fully recovered. After all I have no business running 14 miles on that ankle anymore but I still did it. The plan today was to do 10 repetitions and that would have given me a whole hour of running and walking. Well along the way I miscounted the number of repetitions even though my GPS watch was giving me a countdown (I have it set at 60 repeats in case I would ever run a marathon again… NOT!). When I finally thought I did 10 repetitions and clicked my watch off, I found out that instead of running for an hour, I really ran for an hour and 12 minutes, which was 2 more repeats than I intended. Jeepers! How difficult is it to count to 10?! Today I lost my mind and couldn’t do it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You sure are organized about your training. I think you're tired, not losing your mind :)

Sorry that 14 miler beat you up. By the way, I'm one of those erratic pace people you ran with, but I had that weird "stitch" in my hip wanted to shake with a fast mile or two. I usually keep it steady and much slower than your pace ;)

I'd like to run with you again someday. Please take care of yourself. (Linda)

Noel DLP said...

@ Linda - Nancy suggested on FB that it might have been low blood sugar that made me lose count. I suggested back that it might just be low IQ.I hope your hip got it's groove back. You got the right idea about working out the kinks in mid-run. Nice talking with you after the run.

Noel DLP said...

Comments from Facebook:

Nancy: Maybe you had low blood sugar.... that'll do it!

Noel: Thanks Fides and Nancy, maybe it was just low IQ

Borneo Hasher: Noel, you're in medical line, so you should know what caused the depletion. In layman's language, we only know not enough carb, no energy & no coffee, no libido; no libido, no sex; no sex, get cranky & hi-blood pressure! Hahahaha!

Statcounter