Saturday, July 4, 2009

A Running Arrythmia

Jeepers, what a run it was today! First I warmed up with a 12 minute jog covering 1.2 miles which was a 10:05 pace. Monica, my pacing partner in recent weeks came back today from her vacation so I was hoping to give my joints a break by running slower. To my surprise she started running really fast, nothing of which I had seen in our past runs. I could barely hold on to the pace and was gasping for breathe for the first few miles. I couldn’t get into a good breathing rhythm and was thinking that if she decides to increase the pace any further and take off, I would just have to let her go and back off. There was no way I would be able to run any harder than the pace we were already doing for the whole seven miles. The first mile was 9:15, the second 9:00, and finally settled at an average of 9:05 for the first five miles. Then for some unknown reason, my breathing loosened up after five miles and I was able to pick up the pace subconsciously. When I checked my GPS watch at the end of the run, it said 8:56 average pace per mile for the whole seven miles. That was very surprising considering how awful I was feeling at the start. An unplanned pace with an unexpected positive consequence - I’ll take that result anytime.

Happy Independence Day, America!

No comments:

Statcounter