Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Summer Swelter

I thought I got out early enough to run today to beat the heat. Before 8 o’clock is early enough for me. It wasn’t a good sign that I felt the humidity just going out the door with hardly a breeze to move the air along. The plan was to do some type of road intervals but it was not to be. The run started out quite well and I started doing pickups after 15 minutes, but at about the 25 minute mark I started to feel lightheaded so I had to slow the pace down and aimed for just 30 minutes. I eventually ended up running a very slow 40 minutes after which I tanked the workout for fear of heat stroke or heat exhaustion. Although the on the surface of my skin it didn’t feel too hot, I was probably overheating internally. So I wimped out today, but by being a wimp today I live to run another day. Perhaps bringing an umbrella and a fan will help next time.

No comments:

Statcounter