Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Stream of Consciousness About Saturday’s Run

Nothing extraordinary about Saturday’s run. My usual training partner was missing in action due to her fall last weekend and she said she tweaked something and was going to take a few days off. Another hot day although during the first three miles there was still a slight breeze. Turning to 6th Street and going up the hill, the breeze was gone and remained that way the rest of the 10 mile run. I was fortunate to have run with Kate who pushed me into running a tempo effort for about 5 miles. She was extending her mileage so I let her go at about the 7 ½ mile mark. I don’t know if I would have been able to keep up if I joined her in extending the course. Finally brought my MP3 player in case I wouldn’t have anyone to chat with during the run but didn’t have to use it until the last 2 miles when I had to run solo. I was lucky that the hot spot I felt on my left pinkie toe last week didn’t turn into a blister and I didn’t feel it today.

After the run, a podiatrist named Dr. Braverman spoke to the runners about running injuries. Mine of course is stage 2 PTTD which is not a run of the mill type of injury that runners commonly hear. The good doctor got Tam to model her Achilles tendonitis and me my PTTD. Here is a link to a previous blog entry about that injury: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com/2009/02/q.html

I got to thank Gavin for putting a link about this blog in the Wrigley River Run/Long Beach Neighborhood Foundation newsletter. I received the most number of hits I ever had in a day when the newsletter came out.

For comparison purposes, I ran this 10 mile course last year at an 8:40 pace per mile, and today I ran it at 9:16 pace. Last year’s pace was before I tore my posterior tibialis tendon in October. Still, despite getting slower, I’m happy that I’m still running.

I’m writing and posting this entry later than usual. I got home close to noon on Saturday after picking up my prescription medications from the pharmacy and buying a couple of coffee cakes for Sunday night’s potluck at work. After showering and while icing my ankles and eating lunch, I watched the movie “The Soloist”, then finished reading the day’s newspaper before taking a nap prior to going to work. Well, better late than never.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Noel,
Next time use layman's language & "posterior tibialis tendon" is mounthful enough to say let alone understand. All I understood; it has something to do with your tendon & speaking of tendon, we in Malaysia always associate it with "beef tendon soup in rich herbal concoction". So how many miles you log per week?
Ed

Noel DLP said...

Hey Ed, I didn't know anything about that tendon till the doctor told me about it 4 years ago. That's why I added a link trying to explain what it is. I would take the beef tendon soup any day over what I have now :) I don't even know my weekly mileage anymore. I stopped keeping track ever since I stopped running every day two years ago. Now it's more like 40 minutes to an hour three times a week, but longer on weekends. Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy Running!

Statcounter