Monday, May 3, 2010

A Good Enough Recovery Run

Did my ankles recover enough from Saturday’s personal half marathon? There was only one way to find out.
Starting out with tentative steps, it was a deliberately slow and easy non-stop recovery run which was even slower than my long run/walk last Saturday. Going up and down each short street that dead ended at the Los Angeles river bed, I didn’t have to deal with traffic lights. Reach the end of the block, turn around, and go to the next street. No out and back or loop courses today. It was in a neighborhood I don’t often run in but my mind was so tuned out and even though I set my watch to beep every 4 minutes of running and 1 minute of walking, I paid no attention to it and just made the time pass. Forty minutes, then fifty, then sixty, but I kept on going even though I try to limit recovery runs to an hour. At seventy minutes and still going, I finally checked my overall time and decided to reach 75 minutes or when I hit 7.5 miles. At 1 hour 15 minutes and 23 seconds, my GPS watch ticked 7.51 miles and I walked the rest of the quarter mile back home. It was a pretty good recovery run which didn’t stress my ankle tendons and cardiovascular system. Lesser intensity and lesser calories burned, but good enough to save my joints for another day.

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter