Friday, May 21, 2010

Surprise Thursday Effort and Saturday’s Marathon Training

Because I’ve been feeling drained the last couple of runs this past week, I expected the same on Thursday so I thought I’d take it easy and do a slow jaunt in the neighborhood for about 50 minutes doing the run/walk method. It started off that way, but after about 10 to 15 minutes, it became a full-fledged hard interval workout. It was still a 4 minute run with 1 minute walk technique, but I ran the 4 minute portions really hard which put me in the anaerobic zone, meaning I was gasping for breath because my oxygen intake couldn’t catch up. This was a day when I almost skipped the run and take another couple of days off because my right ankle had been hurting since the previous evening. I ventured out to see how it felt and thankfully, the ankle held up and it turned out to be a good and challenging workout.
This coming Saturday is the start of the A Running Experience Club marathon training program for the Long Beach Marathon. A much bigger group is expected because it combines our club members with an area hospital’s training group. The training program has been going on for 6 or 7 years now and it has grown from about 12 participants in the first year to about 60 last year. With the hospital group joining us, we may reach a hundred. We will finally be getting pace leaders this year, something I’ve always hoped would happen but never materialized. A few years back, I might have volunteered for it but with my injuries and inconsistent pace nowadays, I couldn’t manage anymore. I’m looking forward to running with a pack of similar paced runners though. Time to train the body to wake up at 5 A.M. again.

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter