Friday, June 11, 2010

How Big Is Your Hard Drive?

             So they are selling PC’s with 2 terabyte hard drives nowadays. A couple of years back, 160 gigabytes was quite adequate for a laptop. Now, it’s just enough for netbooks. I remember when you can run a PC with a 360 kilobyte floppy disk!

When I upgraded to a desktop computer with a 20 megabyte hard drive a while back, it was a big deal. Much more when I was able to install a second 20 megabyte drive. At that time, Windows could not read anything larger so if you had a drive with more capacity, you had to partition it first.
External hard drives came later and I had a 40 megabyte one in the 90’s before it failed. It was about the size of a netbook nowadays. When I switched to laptops, the Dell I had, came with 60 gigabytes. My current Toshiba laptop has 160 gigabytes built in and more than half full already, so I had to buy a few external drives: a one terabyte for saving files in and for back ups, and another one terabyte for archiving. Byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte, terabyte, and soon petabyte!
 So now I’ve told you about the history of my hard drives, let me show you this picture of a 5 megabyte hard drive from 1956. What can you fit in that huge hard drive? About 2 songs in MP3 format.

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter