Saturday, June 19, 2010

No Legs + No Energy = Fumes

Look at my very unbalanced form above.
On a day when you just don’t have it, what do you do? Well, you just hang in there and hope to make it to the finish. That is how I felt today. I didn’t have the legs, lungs and energy for a feel good type of run, and I’m sure that this is a result of not being able to run since last Monday. With my achy ankles, I decided to take a few days off to make them recover so I can do the Saturday morning AREC run, but oh, did my conditioning suffer despite cross training on the stationary bike and elliptical machine all week. I just couldn’t get back in the saddle again and have muscle memory take over.
It probably didn’t help that my warm up became unintentionally longer than usual. I planned on doing about a mile and a half warm up but ended up with 2.42 miles because I started with Tam’s group and overshot the distance going out. Then after starting at the back of the pack with the AREC group, it took so much effort to catch up with Allison’s 10 minutes per mile pace group, then made a mistake of chasing Leila who started much faster than when I ran with her in last weeks’ Wrigley 10K race. By the 4th mile of Saturday’s 8 miler, I was running on fumes and was just hoping to finish. Well, thankfully, I did finish without having to walk, but it took every ounce of whatever glycogen was left in my muscles to do so. When I got home my energy level didn’t get any better even after eating and was practically stuck to the couch for a few pass out naps the rest of the day. I wasn’t able to do anything else from the exhaustion. Hopefully, I make it through my 12 hour shift at work tonight
To my fellow runners out there, in running as in life, some days there are struggles such as the one I had today, but remember what Nietzsche said, “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”. Or so I hope in my case. I can't complain though. After all, I ran more than 10 miles :)

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter