Friday, July 23, 2010

A Cushy Tushy


I wasn’t planning on riding the bike last Wednesday, but I got my new padded shorts in the mail and well, I just had to try it. My first impression upon putting it on was, hmm, it feels like wearing a diaper. Not like I know how wearing one might feel like since I’ve never worn one before. Oh, wait! I’m pretty sure I’ve worn diapers when I was a baby and they were probably the cloth kind, not that I remember anything about it. The problem with buying clothes by mail order is of course picking the proper size. In this case, I lucked out because the shorts fit me perfectly. I also bought a new padded saddle and replaced the one the bike came with. Somehow the memory foam seat cover I put on it last week didn’t work too well in putting the cushy to my tushy. Anyway, I just exchanged the seat cover for the gel saddle at the store which cost the same.
Out the door and into the road I go, and at first I didn’t feel too much difference in my comfort level, but then again it could have been the lingering soreness from the past weeks’ rides. I went back to the criterium course where I first test rode the bike. I’m beginning to like riding there even though I just basically go around in circles, because there are hardly any cars and traffic. As the ride went along I started to feel the advantage of the new shorts and saddle. My butt didn’t feel as sore sooner than usual and actually felt quite comfortable. I only rode for an hour so it’s too early to say how it will feel on longer rides. All I can say is that the new equipment does help a lot and I could use all I can get. People who know me already know how deficient I am in the rear end department.
In the past, bike shorts were just some kind of stretchy fabric with a chamois pad in the crotch area which didn’t give any cushioning. The natural chamois pad which came from sheep hide eventually got stiffer with repeated washings. Today’s technical fabric holds up better with washings, feels more comfortable, and doesn’t require the sacrifice of animals. I sure hope the sheep are appreciative of that. I know I my tushy is. And I don’t care if people start asking me I’m wearing an adult diaper. So two thumbs up for the padded shorts and gel saddle!

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter