Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Which Bike To Buy?


So I’ve been surfing around the internet for road bikes and so far I’ve narrowed down my choices to the entry level bikes from KHS, Fuji, and Trek. Being a short person, I need a 46 or 47 cm. frame which is very hard to find on Craigslist, Ebay, or even the good old Pennysaver, where you can mostly find bigger ones. I’m resigned to having to buy a brand new bike and have been reading reviews of the above mentioned bikes.
The KHS Flite 220 and the Fuji Newest 4.0 are the cheapest at $549. However, the reviews I’ve read about the KHS are not so good. One complained about frequent flat tires because there is something wrong with the spokes of the wheels protruding. Also, the components are the lowest quality and frame is chromoly (chrome molybdenum), which is the heaviest. The Fuji has better reviews but doesn’t have index shifting, only the old style tube shifters. The frame is made of aluminum which is lighter. Buyers of the Trek 1.1 however are raving about the bike but it costs 110 more bucks at $659. I’m leaning towards buying the last one because of the good reviews, however I have to fit the expense around my strict budget.
This got me thinking. I can buy a computer, or treadmill, or elliptical trainer, but I hesitate on deciding to buy a bike?! This is something that I can use as a substitute to running as an outdoor activity after all. What the heck?!
As I’ve mentioned in a previous post, my first 2 bikes cost $100 and $150. Both had chromoly frames. Way back then, the aluminum frames just started coming out. Nowadays, the most expensive bikes are made of lightweight carbon fiber. There are so many types of bikes today that it can get confusing to shop for them especially when you are not caught up on the latest parts and components. I should be taking the plunge and buy one soon.
Update: I had myself measured for a bike and found out that I would fit in a 52 or 54 frame. The store had to order the bike and when it arrives, I’ll see which one fits better. My inseam was higher than I thought for my height. The store gave me a discount for being a previous customer a long time ago, even when the store had a different owner then. I’ll have to wait a few more days for the bike to be delivered, so more delayed gratification.

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter