Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Bad Disks


Thankfully, this has nothing to do with bad discs related to lower back pain. There was a sale at OfficeMax for Verbatim brand DVD disks – a pack of 100 for $19.99, so I went and purchased it on Monday morning after running and weight training. I’ve had a bad experience in the past when I bought disks of a different brand (I think it was TDK), which I tried to use several months after I bought them. The whole batch of 100 were bad disks and you could not save any data on them. Since it had been months since I first bought them, I didn’t have the receipt anymore and couldn’t return them. Besides, the allotted amount of time for returns most likely expired already. So that was money down the drain. When I bought the disks last Monday, I opened them right away and tried to copy files on them. On the first disk, the software said it had bad sectors, so I tried a second one and this time it just said “burning” for the longest time. I know for sure it doesn’t take that long to burn a disk. So back to the store I went to exchange the product for another pack. Upon returning home, I tried to do the same thing I did with the first pack with the same results. So, I used a different computer and software and tried to burn a video file. While the computer processed the information, I left for work and when I got back home the next morning, I noticed the the DVD tray had popped open, meaning the disk was done and ready to use. I popped the disk into a DVD player and saw that the video was functioning well, but… no audio! So I tried it in the computers’ DVD player but got the same result. That could only mean that the disk was corrupted too. Dang it! Having just gotten home from work I went to sleep and when I woke up, I went back to the store to return the product. I didn’t want to get another replacement because my conclusion is either Verbatim didn’t make good disks, or a bad batch was sent to the store. Needless to say, I probably won’t try to buy that brand again. At least the salesperson was very nice and didn’t grill me about exchanging and returning two days in a row. I had been using a generic Staples store brand disks lately and it has worked very well so I’ll be keeping an eye out in case it goes on sale again. So if I can share a lesson learned here: when you buy new disks, try to use them right away to find out if they are good. At least you’ll find out early while you still have the receipt.


Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter