Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Working The Pace, etc…

Ever have one of those days when you feel that you are running hard, giving it all you’ve got, and all that effort just gives you an overall pace slower than what you perceived? All that huffing and puffing didn’t blow the house down after all. Well I had one of those days last Saturday when the average pace over 8.5 miles was 9:32, when it felt at least like 9:15. Was I disappointed? Maybe slightly, but I was content enough that the hard effort was made. Even though it didn’t feel like I was struggling with the pace, it didn’t feel easy either, so it was a good run overall. I shouldn’t really be compulsive with pace nowadays since my running is day to day, but it’s nice to see slight improvements despite the ankle pain. The more important issue is that I’m able to run.
I ran with Cyndi that day and she is still recovering from the very hard effort she gave at the Surf City Half Marathon two weeks prior. When I finished stretching afterwards, I saw a few runners finishing their run whose strides looked familiar from afar. Well, no wonder they looked familiar. Tam, Jaymi, Julie, and Jean have come back a couple of weeks after Surf City too, but they started at 7:30 while Cyndi and I started at 6:45. It was nice seeing the group and specially Tam who started running again after waiting patiently for her ankle sprain to heal.
Other notes about last weeks’ running experience: I ran my fastest pace using the Galloway 4 minute run/1 minute walk system. I averaged 9:43 pace per mile over 6 miles compared to the previous weeks’ 9:49. My ankles seems to hurt a different way while wearing the over the counter Heel That Pain orthotics, but I seem to get a better bounce in my stride while using them. We will have to see in the oncoming weeks how well that will work out.
Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter