Thursday, August 19, 2010

Heat + No Company = Bad Run


What happens when it has been cool all summer and the body hasn’t had the time to acclimate to sudden heat? The heat that we have been waiting for all summer finally hit us on Tuesday and increased further on Wednesday. Thursday’s newspaper said the high was 88 degrees on Tuesday and jumped to 96 degrees on Wednesday.  I can’t say that it drained me, but I felt dizzier than usual so maybe that‘s just the way the heat affected me. As a follow up run to last Saturday, I did a 6 mile run/walk on Tuesday, which I thought I should have stopped when I reached 5 miles because I felt so sluggish. Even though the pace was exactly the same as the 9 mile run/walk I did last Saturday, it felt much harder. 6 miles much harder than 9 miles? Doesn’t make sense, right? I don’t think it was so much the heat as it was the lack of company. Last Saturday, even though I wasn’t pacing with anybody, I was still surrounded by runners of different paces. On Tuesday, I had to do it all by my lonesome. It’s so much more motivating to be around people trying to achieve the same thing. Same pace, harder effort alone, but easier perceived effort with others. The company is what I missed for the 6 weeks that I stopped running.
 On Wednesday, I picked up a new pair of running shoes at a store in Cerritos and even though I wasn’t scheduled to run, I just had to try it out. I ran for 15 minutes going out, and walked for 25 minutes coming back. In that short span of time at 2 p.m. in 96 degree heat, I thought I might faint because I got dizzy off and on. It was probably a combination of the heat, lack of sleep, and dehydration. That experience was scary and getting anxious about it made things feel worse, but I survived by reducing the walk by 20 minutes. Drinking 32 oz. of water afterwards revived me. Oh, by the way, the shoes feel ok, but then again new shoes always feel that way.
                There is a different story about these shoes altogether. They are the Asics Gel Foundation 8 which first came out in 2008. The newest model which is the Foundation 9 was just released last month so it’s no surprise that the model 8’s are now mostly on closeout sale. Well, Big 5 Sporting Goods must have bought a lot of these shoes at a bargain from Asics because they are selling it for about 50% off regular price. There is just one problem with this. Although the shoes came in several sizes, they were all in 4E width, meaning they are really, really wide! That leaves out a lot of shoppers with narrow feet. Not a problem for me because I usually wear 2E to 4E, although I would have preferred the 2E. In absence of that, I bought the 4E because the price was right.

Public comments below, private comments: E-mail Me!
Back to Main Page: http://noeldlp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Statcounter