Monday, January 26, 2009

An Acute Case of Wii-itis


Right shoulder muscles (I couldn't find a picture of the left shoulder)


This is Rod Laver, my idol when I was growing up. I am left-handed like him.

Wiitis: A "Sports" injury contracted by playing too much Nintendo Wii.

I've been playing the Wii Sports games for the past week now, mostly tennis since it brings me back to my sports roots. I used to be a tennis player before running became my sport. I played tennis from high school all through college where I played for my university's varsity team. I started out trying to get a feel for the game and as previously mentioned in an earlier post, the intensity has been growing to the point of breaking a lightbulb and almost falling headlong on my TV. So now, I move some furniture as far away as possible before playing. The first few days I didn't save any of my games and won a majority of them. Turns out I was playing as an amateur competing against other amateurs. When I finally saved my games, I noticed that I was losing more frequently and that when I won, my opponents levels were being elevated to professionals. Professional level starts at 1000 and I have been playing against as much as 1800 pros. However I still have been winning my share of games so much so that I am now a 700 level amateur. The thing about playing against better opponents is that the intensity level goes much higher. More strokes are played and the ball speed is faster. As a result of playing more vigorous games, I developed a case of Wii-itis. I woke up one morning and my left deltoid and left side of my trapezius muscles were very sore (I am left-handed). This was something that I never experienced when I was playing real tennis (well, I was much younger then). So I got to reading about wiiitis on the internet and there is even an article about it on WebMD.com. Having learned my lesson, I do some warm-up stretches now before I play the game. This game is so intense and realistic except for not having to chase the ball around a tennis court, that I have now added WII Tennis to my arsenal of workouts.





2 comments:

Nancy Deprez said...

Seems like a pretty cool game. I have never played any wii games but I guess they are all simulation games?

Noel DLP said...

Hi Nancy, yes they are simulation games and I think they come close to the real thing because you are not just pushing buttons or moving a joystick,but actually swinging away with the remote control. I was never a video gamer and the WII is my first video game console ever.

Statcounter