Monday, January 5, 2009

All Green (Originally written December 6, 2008)

December 06

All Green

My goal for today was to try to run for 30 to 40 minutes. This would have been my third run this week in the new over the counter orthotics. I took a regular route which had 2 traffic lights, so that would have made it 4 traffic lights back and forth. My first time checkpoint which used to take me 15 and 1/2 minutes to reach years ago when I was still able to run fast, and in recent years has taken me 16 and 1/2 minutes, took 18 minutes today. But I'm not complaining, at least I'm able to run again no matter how slow. After the checkpoint, I went around this small park then headed back home. I passed my limit of 30 minutes which was 2 days ago and looked towards running for 35 minutes. I eventually ended up with 37 minutes when my right ankle started bothering me. The nice thing about today's run was that it was non-stop because even with 4 traffic lights to deal with, I reached those intersections when the lights were all green. I hope this bodes well for my return to running, slowly but surely. The thing about these orthotics: I don't feel any spring in my step at all, I land very heavy and flat on my feet on each stride. However it feels like it controls overpronation very well. So for now, I'd rather have a heavy stride and be able to run for a few minutes, than not run at all. Just like the green traffic lights, all signs appear to signal: GO !

No comments:

Statcounter