Monday, January 5, 2009

The Day the Moon, the Stars and the Planets Aligned (Originally written August, 2008)

The Day the Moon, the Stars and the Planets Aligned

The Day the Moon, the Stars and the Planets Aligned (August 2, 2008)
Chronic right inner ankle tendonitis…check. Right outer ankle twisted on a sidewalk a couple of weeks ago…check. Left hip strain from weight training last week…check. Tender left knee from track intervals two days ago…check. All systems go, ready for take-off. For one glorious morning, I was able to run like I did four years ago before all my injuries. A day when the physical and mental got together and had a party. A day that occurs too few and far between now. It was tough and it hurt aerobically, but darn it, did it hurt so good! Finishing the run at an unexpectedly good and unplanned pace gave me immense joy. I guess this is the reason I keep on running despite all my aches and pains – the satisfying high that I get when all cylinders are clicking, and not caring if my knee or hip or ankle is going to hurt tomorrow or the next whole week. I don’t care, I don’t feel the compulsion to run every day anymore. Been there, done that for 21 straight years. For one day I managed to let it all hang out, teetering on the edge of oxygen debt, redlining the pace for all of 12 miles. I may not be able to run that pace again in a long time or at the upcoming Long Beach Half-Marathon (because I suck at racing). But for one fine day I did. I competed with myself, surpassed my expectations, and that was good enough. A running experience indeed. I run, I train, therefore I am. So come on fellow runners,keep searching and striving for your own one glorious day. Please excuse me while I go wrap a bag of frozen veggies around my ankle now and hope the nutrients filter through via osmosis to make it feel better.
P.S. – Thanks to all the AREC members who whether they know it or not, give me the pull or push to finish the Saturday morning runs. Another side note - One advantage of not running everyday: lesser running shorts, tops and socks to wash during laundry day, six sets instead of fourteen in a two week period.

2 comments:

Nancy Deprez said...

It IS a great feeling to have a great run, what a high one gets during and afterwards!

I can't wait till AREC does the Saturday morning runs again - they are a great pull.

Noel DLP said...

OMG, sorry, I just read this comment today. Thanks , can't wait for the Saturday runs too.

Statcounter